First and foremost I am a designer. That's my most passionate place and the way I love to communicate. However I also love taming large code systems and making them modular and reusable.
February 2009 - September 2018
Site Development Manager Oklahoman Media Company
- Initially my role was leading a small web development team that worked on vertical markets and special projects of the various media company websites. Some of my duties included managing employees (HR, benefits etc.), giving design direction and feedback, overseeing code production, assuring deadline completion and giving progress reports to upper management. Approximately 6-9 months into this role I was asked to take over the role of Product Director of Wimgo (see below).
Upon returning from my stint at Wimgo (beginning in 2012) I assumed the role of a Senior Designer/Front End Developer. I assumed the role of a builder and doer and I have been very happy in that role. September 27th 2018 The Oklahoman Media Company was sold and my position was deemed redundant and eliminated.
- Work Processes
- Worked on web development locally (MacBook laptops) with deployment to stage/production server environments (git). Browser testing was done via the staging local development server and then deployed to the stage server environment for final QA. Server software was LAMP based and was built around a custom php framework. Templating was done with php and smarty. GIT via github.com was used for source control and patch/site deployment.
February 2009 - December 2011
Director of Product Development wimgo.com
- Lead the vision of the product. Lead the design/development team and guiding programmers. Document new site structures into requirement docs. Design and develop user interface (UI) solutions. Make design and UI changes based on end user feedback. Develop new user experiences (UX). Wireframe the site structure document in a viewable site process flow. Design sites in Photoshop or Illustrator. Develop HTML and CSS for various sites. Interview and hire new candidates for employment. Review and manage employees.
Wimgo was closed by it's parent company OPUBCO Communications Group due to a change in organizational structure and objectives for the site. I was reabsorbed back into the main organization at the end of December 2011.
- Work Processes
- Same as Oklahoman Media Company.
October 1994 - December 2008
Creative Director/Owner Visual Inventor Ltd. Co.
- I started Visual Inventor “VI” while still in college and built it into a successful digital design firm that eventually employed six people. I had the pleasure of turning clients into long lasting relationships - which I now realize is at the core of any successful business. I closed Visual Inventor at the end of 2008 for many reasons, but the main one was so I could spend more time with my family.
- Microsoft - roles served: branding, print design, trade show design, online advertising, site design and development.
- Xbox - site design and development. Launched GamesForWindows.com for Xbox and Microsoft. It eventually grew to 13 different languages and had a very large global footprint.
- EMI - package design, marketing design, site design and development online advertising design. VI-developed artist sites had between 1-4 million site visitors a month. Artists included DC Talk, Amy Grant, Steven Curtis Chapman and Audio Adrenaline.
- View Visual Inventor's archived work on Flickr
October 1996 - 2002 2004 - 2012
Adjunct Design Instructor Oklahoma Christian University, Oklahoma City Community College
- Develop curriculum. Instruct students in various elements of design. Grade student work. Participate in art and design faculty activities as requested.
- Courses Taught
- Introduction to Graphic Design Oklahoma Christian University (1996-2002, 2004-2011)
- Advanced Graphic Design Oklahoma Christian University (1996-2002, 2004-2011)
- Beginning Photoshop Oklahoma City Community College (2001)
- Web Design Interaction Oklahoma Christian University (2011-2012)
- Oklahoma Christian University, BFA graphic design Oklahoma City, OK (1992-1995)
- Central Missouri State University, Warrensburg, MO (1990-1992) transferred
- Vice President, Oklahoma chapter, American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) (2 years)
- Promotions chair, AIGA Oklahoma (4 years)
- Internet Chair, AIGA Oklahoma (2 years)
- Advisory board member, AIGA Oklahoma (5 years)
- Oklahoma City Ad Club member (15 years)
- Member AIGA (18 years)
- Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce (5 years)
- Logo Lounge Master Library, Vol. 1. “Union Mutual Logo” Rockport Publishers 2010
- Logo Lounge 3. “Multiple logos published”, Rockport Publishers 2006
- American Corporate Identity “Oklahoma Human Resource Council” 1996
- American Corporate Identity “Mark Jones CPA” 1995